Movie Cocktails: The Avengers’ Kindred Spirits
Assembled below are cocktails for guests to drink like their favorite member of The Avengers team. Some are adventurous, some are classic, but all will set the mood for fighting evil and avenging justice.
- Captain America – The Old Fashion, STACK at The Mirage: Raised in the early 1900’s, Steve Rogers kept his old-fashioned values after being revived from suspended animation in ice to join The Avengers in the present day. Made with premium Wild Turkey 101, STACK’s “Old Fashion” is surprisingly strong, exceptionally smooth and undeniably patriotic just like Captain America. Rounded out with bitters and house-made syrup and topped off with an orange peel and a brandied cherry, The Old Fashion salutes Cap’s good old American charm.
- Thor – Hammered, Public House at Luxor: Thor, the Asgardian god of thunder, wields the enchanted hammer, Mjolnir, against his foes. Just like Mjolnir, Public House’s “Hammered” gives its wielder power with the legendary taste of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey. Fresh raspberries, freshly squeezed lemon, sour and simple syrup brings it back down to Earth and makes it approachable to us mortals.
- Iron Man – Housemade Fireball, Michael Mina Pub 1842 at MGM Grand: Tony Stark created the signature powered suit of armor that would save his life and turn him into the superhero, Iron Man. The suit gives Iron Man an array of weapons, including high-powered fireballs that shoot from his palms. PUB 1842’s “Housemade Fireball” pays homage to Iron Man’s most recognizable firearm by providing a lot of power in just one shot.
- The Hulk – Pizzazerac, Rx Boiler Room at Mandalay Bay: What’s crazy powerful and an appealing shade of green? Just like the Hulk, the Kubler Asbinthe in Rx Boiler Room’s “Pizzazerac” packs a massive green punch. While Breaking & Entering Bourbon provides a nod to The Hulk’s more destructive characteristics, 32 Day Aged Grand Marnier is reminiscent of Bruce Banner’s calmer side. Clove syrup along with a mixture of Angostura bitters and Peychauds bitters finish off this drink worthy of a Hulk Smash.
- Black Widow – What She’s Having, Sage at ARIA: Made with Breckenridge Vodka, this cocktail and Natasha Romanoff both have Russian roots. As the only female Avenger, Black Widow breaks out of her assumed role as femme fatale and proves to be a powerful force with unrivaled combat skills. Sage’s “What She’s Having” made by ARIA’s Property Mixologist Craig Schoettler is deceptive like Natasha Romanoff with its Meyer lemon housemade shrub, soda, lemon wheel and rosemary-infused ice, but provides a bold kick with crushed black pepper.
- Hawkeye – Bull’s Eye, Double Barrel at Monte Carlo: Once a reluctant villain, Clint Baron turned away from criminal activity to join forces with The Avengers. Double Barrel’s “Bull’s Eye” is right on target complementing Hawkeye’s archery skills with Makers Mark bourbon. It even incorporates Chambord and blackberry puree to pay tribute to the master archer’s classic purple attire. Lemon juice and simple syrup complete this concoction, which certainly hits the spot.